There are many lessons we can all learn from this:
1) The Islamic Republic of Iran, when genuinely engaged, is negotiable, unlike what neo-conservatives try to make us believe.
2) Iran is a whole different country now than it was 28 years ago when they held the American embassy hostage.
3) Iran's establishment is more united than everyone thinks. Painting the Revolution Guard as a mafia or a government inside a government is a strategic mistake.
4) The moderate conservatives in Iran, represented by Ali Larijani, have the unconditional backing of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
5) Ali Larijani, who brokered the deal, is the real president of Iran and is the person in Iran the world should be talking to. That's why Ahmadinejad was reading from a written statement at today’s press conference.
6) The Islamic Republic, including its radical elements, is not a “rogue” or irrational regime.
7) Ahmadinejad has been allowed to announce the sailors’ release to repair the image of Iran that he has greatly damaged through his unnecessary anti-Israel comments.
8) Iran has won the public relations game.
9) Iran is a winner in the recent standoff, as it ultimately was when the U.S. removed its most threatening neighboring regimes in Iraq and Afghanistan.
10) Ahmadinejad is one heck of a street-smart politician.
Please e-mail PostGlobal if you'd like to receive an email notification when PostGlobal sends out a new question.